The Center on Colfax just announced they have launched a COVID-19 Response Group to help members of Colorado’s LGBTQ community stay connected during this period of social isolation. The new Facebook group is intended to be a safe space to share news, information, resources, and provide interaction through friendly conversation.
The community and resource space closed to the public on March 13 in compliance with the City and County of Denver’s social distancing order, and queer folks have felt the void of chosen family during this time of uncertainty. As a way to continue to serve the LGBTQ community, as they have for the last 44 years, The Center on Colfax are offering remote services while also developing virtual support groups. These groups are planned to be available over the next few weeks, and they recommend reaching out to email@example.com for specific information on support for the transgender community as well as resources for older adults.
“We understand how the current restrictions designed to reduce the spread of the coronavirus can also leave people feeling very isolated. We hope this group can provide crucial support during this difficult time and bridge the gap until we can all reconnect in person,” said The Center’s CEO Rex Fuller.
The Center on Colfax is also recommending the following resources for the various populations they serves.
For older adults:
- Phone-A-Friend Program. LGBTQ adults 50 and older who would like to connect with one of The Center’s volunteers can fill out an online form or call Kerry Duran at (303) 951-5228 to get connected. Phone messages will be answered within 24 hours.
- Senior Planet At-Home Resources and Online Learning. An online community for people 60 and older, Senior Planet is offering virtual talent shows, lunch-and-learn seminars, and online classes to help seniors stay occupied. For more information, visit seniorplanet.org
- SAGE LGBTQ Hotline. If you are an LGBTQ elder or care for one, call the free SAGE Hotline, toll-free, at 877-360-LGBT (5428). The SAGE LGBT Elder Hotline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Rescqu Net. Rescqu Net provides access to nonprofit resources, education, and online communities to individuals who want to remain anonymous about their LGBT status. rescqu.net
- TransPulse. TransPulse’s goal is to stop the transgender suicide epidemic. Through live chats, online forums, and a worldwide database of resources, TransPulse offers a sense of community and kinship for transgender folks, their families, their friends, and their allies. transgenderpulse.com
- Trans Lifeline. Trans Lifeline is a 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to the wellbeing of transgender people. Trans Lifeline runs a hotline staffed by transgender people for transgender people. Trans Lifeline volunteers are ready to respond to whatever support needs members of our community might have. translieline.org
- Rocky Mountain Crisis Partnership. Rocky Mountain Crisis Partners operates the Colorado Crisis Services Crisis Line and Support Line, provides an extensive Program Services Directory, and offers LiveConnect Services; amongst other services including the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and Follow-Up Services. 844-493-TALK (8255) or metrocrisisservices.org
- Rainbow Alley. Connect with Rainbow Alley for updates, connection and fun. Follow Rainbow Alley on Instagram (@RainbowAlleyRiot), Twitter (RainbowAlleyDen), and Facebook
- Q Chat Space. Weekly live facilitated discussion for LGBTQ youth. Qchatspace.org
- The Trevor Project. A leading, national organization providing LGBTQ crisis intervention and suicide prevention for LGBTQ youth under age 25. Thetrevorproject.org or 866-488-7386.
Additionally, The Center is still providing support for community members looking for assistance enrolling in a health insurance plan through Connect for Health Colorado. The Colorado Division of Insurance announced a special enrollment period through April 3 in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. The Center’s health education manager, Ron DeVries, is available for virtual appointments to assist with enrollment for Connect for Health, Medicaid, or Medicare.